Change of Status
Change of Status Application Procedure
Are you in the US under a tourist visa and would like to change to a F-1 student visa in order to study at a university? We are experts at this process and make the change of status process simple for students. Don’t forget that you want to make sure to apply well before your immigration status expires (30-45 days in advance).
- Fill out our school application online and pay the application fee (this may be done in the office as well)
- Make an appointment to discuss the Change of Status process with Excel’s Advisor
Gather Documents & Fees
- Gather all required documents and get English translations of documents if necessary
- Write your personal statement explaining why you are seeking a change of status
- Download and fill out the I-539 form and the I-539A form for each dependent (Download the form, fill it out, save it to your computer, and email it to the Change of Status Advisor) *The same form can be used to file an extension to your visa
- Get money orders for $370 for each I-539 filed (COS and Extension) and $85 for each applicant (Biometrics Fee)
Review & Complete
- Make an appointment with the Advisor to bring in all your documents and money orders for review and pay the school fees for Change of Status
- After the Advisor creates your I-20 (F-1 student visa), you will pay the $350 I-901 SEVIS fee online
- All documents are reviewed and packaged. The applicant will mail the documents to USCIS
- After about two weeks, you will receive receipts of the filings and the appointment time for your biometrics screening
If you have any questions on how it works, give us a call at 214-363-1700, contact us by email, or visit our FAQ page.